You want the quick down and dirty of what the basics of affiliate marketing are, so you can stop wasting time and decide if it is for you…
Well let me give you some key takeaways from about what are the basics of affiliate marketing first…
Key Takeaways TLDR:
Now that we have those takeaways over with let’s dig down and understand what are the basics of affiliate marketing a bit more (not massively).
Affiliate Marketing Basic #1: You are the middle man.
What are the basics of affiliate marketing when it comes to products?
A product owner, the likes of say Amazon or Apple, Or Nike, or UFC has a product that they want to sell.
The recruit people called affiliates to promote their products, and in exhange for promoting their product, when a sale is made via the specific affiliate, you make a percentage commision of the sale price.
You are NOT employed by the company (hence recruit vs hire mentioned above), and ONLY make money if you sell one of their products.
In order to know what affiliate makes the sale for them, each affiliate marketer has a unique refferral link that measures all clicks and transactions. You can find out more about it here in how to start affiliate marketing for beginners.
Back to the commissions…
An example of this would be.
Affiliate Marketing Commission Examples
Let me give you a few examples to better your understanding.
- You decide that you want to sell Nike Air Jordan 4’s as an affiliate, because you just love them,
- You sign up for their affiliate program, and get an affiliate link to promote them,
- Y0u get that link and share it with friends on Facebook and talk a little bit about the new shoes and add some pics. You also add your affiliate link,
- Someone, not even a friend sees the post, likes the look of the kicks, and clicks your link,
- They go to the Air Jordan site, and buy the sneakers,
- BOOM, you just made a sale, and are given a commission,
- This will be paid to you once you pass an income threshold.
Or how about this example:
- You want to start your first website, but don’t know how to start, so you think about how you would go about it, and think of searching Google to see if they can help,
- You search for, how to create a website for my business, or something similar,
- You go to a wesbite that reviews a company called Dreamhost, which does a thing called hosting websites (which you find out is needed to create a website),
- You like the review and click on the link or button and are brought to the Dreamhost page,
- You buy their product, and…
- Some other affiliate gets paid.
So, there you have the basics from 2 sides…
Let me ask you, which side would you prefer to be on?
I know which one I like.
Affiliate Marketing Basic #2: You Only Get Paid When You Make A Sale
As a beginner, what are the basics of affiliate marketing in relation to your payment deal.
- You sign up to promote a product,
- You are NOT hired by the company, you merely become a ‘seller’,
- Each seller is given a specific link to make sure that sales are credited to teh right perosn,
- When a sale is made via a person clicking your link, then you make a commission,
- You do NOT make a sale for link clicks without sales.
So, you are not hired by the company, meaning that you don’t only have to sell that company’s products.
Affiliate Marketing Basic #3: You Can Market Products Worldwide
Let’s move forward to you already having your affiliate link, so, What are the basics of affiliate marketing when it comes to getting people to actually see your link and click it and then buy?
Ok, so this is very simple, you have to:
- Get your link out to as many people as possible,
- Who are targeted towards your product (who actually want it),
- And encourage them that the product you are promting contains to solution to the problem they are facing.
Where do you put your affiliate link?
Here is a list of potential places that you can put your affiliate link if you are looking to promote your products online, I’ll start with the best:
- Your own website,
- Tik Tok,
There are many more places, but that is a good start.
What are the basics of affiliate marketing That You Should Know
In conclusion, affiliate marketing has lots of moving part, and the basics I just mentioned above are the tip of the iceberg, let’s call it the whetting of your whistle…
- Affiliate marketing is simply where you act as a middleman between the buyer and seller,
- You DO NOT own the product when you find buyers,
- You ONLY get paid as an affiliate when you make a sale, and…
- You can market the products you promote all over the world (mostly).
This is a cool industry, and one that I hope you come and join with me,
Looking forward to helping you achieve you dreams and goals,
“I love Ciaran’s enthusiasm, depth of knowledge, presentation style, and willingness to share a subject he loves…”. – Robin R “
“The level of training and videos are so good, Ciaran pays attention to detail and each step is laid out with easy to follow instructions…” – Robert M